Mary Thomas, M.D. ABFM, ABOM
Baton Rouge General Physicians- Bluebonnet Family Clinic LLC
9241 Bluebonnet Blvd. Suite B. Baton Rouge, LA 70810
Phone: 225-757-6031 225-763-4500
How Does Unhealthy Weight Affect the Quality of Your Life?
The American Medical Association recognizes obesity as a chronic progressive disease affecting the quality and quantity of your life.
It is a common knowledge that obesity increases the risk of several debilitating, and deadly diseases such as the following:
• Heart Disease
• Gallstones & Gout
• Arthritis of the Joints
• Obstructive Sleep Apnea
• Chronic Acid Reflux & Peptic Ulcers
• Cancers-Abdomen, Breast, Ovary, Uterus, Prostate
• Depression and social anxiety
• Bladder incontinence
• Sexual dysfunction & infertility
• Shorter Life Span
What Should You Look for in a Weight-loss Program?
Successful, long-term weight control
Change your lifestyle to adopt healthy habits
Slow and gradual changes instead of quick and drastic changes
Easy small easily attainable goals to reach your healthy weight goal
Loose at least 5 to 10 percent or more of your excess weight, even if not at your “ideal” weight.
Our programs promote healthy behaviors that help you to lose and maintain your weight control throughout your life.
Genetics play a role in obesity, however, not all individuals who are predisposed to obesity become obese. The effects of abnormal levels of Thyroid, Cortisol, and Insulin in addition to unhealthy habits also contributes to chronic medical conditions.
What are the contributing factors of excess weight?
• Unhealthy Eating Behaviors & Habits
• Calorie Rich Fast Foods
• Large Portion Sizes of Foods
• Sedentary Lifestyle
• Lack of Physical Activities
• Excess TV time, Desk Jobs with Less movements
• Inadequate Sleep
• Stress, Anxiety, Depression & Social Isolation
• Certain Medications for Chronic Illnesses.
• What is a healthy weight for me?
• Do I need to lose weight?
• How much weight should I lose?
• Am I taking medications that cause extra weight?
• How much physical activity do I need?
• How can I exercise safely?